Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Brazil - Land of the Capoeira !

I am on my way to Brazil and I must say super excited. Granted its only for a few days - however the though of Brazil is accompanied by so many images. I am thinking Rio, now the olympics, copa cabana , the city of God , the beaches , the carnival (which incidentally just got over a week ago) but most importantly I am thinking of the rhythym that characterizes Brazilians. Last time I was there which was almost four years ago , I had attended a typical Samba school and also seen the Capoeira. I was truly mesmerized by that form of dance. So elegant , so much energy , so graceful. It combines dance, music and martial arts. I was so impressed, I had made up my mind to come back to nyc and take capoeira classes. 2 years passed and I finally did sign up for capoeira classes - the beginner classes. I was not disappointed at all. It was fun and hard work. The people I met were so into it. I was so impressed by the dedication of the class , they practiced for atleast 8-10 hours a week. If you are interested in Capoeira classes, most YMCA's in NYC have them. Go for it...you can get a trial class without committing to do it... so go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment